Visiting Maui? A Guide to my Hometown- Kihei, HI
Is your next destination Maui? Here is an insider's guide to fun places to eat, visit and stay on the south side of the island, also known as Kihei, Wailea & Makena.
Kihei is known for its beautiful beaches (Charlie Youngs, Kam I, Kam II, Kam III- to name a few) as well as fun activities. If you find yourself on this sunny side of the island, here are a few places to check out!
Best Place to Watch Sunset:
- Kam III: Kamaole Beach 3 is not only a beach but also a park, with a large grass hill, picnic tables, swing sets, showers and bbq grills. This spot is a local favorite to throw parties and especially to watch one of the prettiest sunsets on the entire island. The view looks out on the islands of Molokini and Kaho'olawe.
Best Place for Food & Beers:
- Fred's & Mooses: Fred's Mexican Cafe and Moose McGillycuddy's are two restaurants located across the street from Kam II's sea wall (where you will see people gather to watch the sunset as well). Fred's is located downstairs to Moose's with a shared bathroom and connected stairwell. Great places to grab a beer with friends or a Delicious breakfast burrito. Also, if you enjoy trivia, Moose guarantees a good time on Wednesday nights- heck you might even win a prize! Visit Fred's & Moose's Today!
Best Local Activity:
- Little Beach: So little beach isn't technically Kihei, but it is part of the south side and located in Makena. Past the resort town of Wailea, next to the famous/infamous Big Beach (famous in the sense that most people have heard of this beach, and infamous because of it's dangerous undertow and powerful waves). If you plan to visit little beach- parking is located in the first parking lot for Big Beach. After climbing a pathway up cliff- you will find little beach- aka the nude beach. While this may not be everyone's first choice, the Sunday Evening Drum Circle is worth the experience. Imagine watching sunset with live music, large group of fun people, fire dancing, and body painting if you're lucky.
Best Place to Stay:
- Mango Tree Studio (Vacation Rental): Looking for a place to stay in Kihei? The Mango Tree Studio is a light and bright ohana located in a residential neighborhood just a few minutes from Kam III, restaurants, night life, and shopping in Wailea and Kihei. This is a 450 sq ft studio with a private entrance and deck. The bed is a comfy queen size memory foam mattress, fitted with crisp organic cotton sheets. Enjoy the rain shower head, and large Turkish towels. And the kitchen has everything you need to make a meal, as well as a good cup of pour over coffee, including beans from local roasters. Book Today
Best Place to Let Loose:
- "The Triangle:" If you want to let loose, there's only one place to go in Kihei- "The Triangle." -So named because of the numerous bars that form a type of "BARmuda Triangle"- pun intended. Check out each bar and decide which one is your favorite! Choose from Life's A Beach, Kahale's, Dog & Duck, What Ales You, Tiki Lounge and Vibe.
Best Place for a Fancy Dinner:
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a: Celebrating a special occasion? Treat yourself at the Grand Wailea's high-end beach front restaurant: Humuhumunukunukuapua'a -specializing in seasonal, Polynesian meat & fish dishes. Only open for Dinner and Sunday Brunch. Get ready for a luxurious dining experience. Reserve Your Table
Humble Market Kitchin: If you have visited Hawaii before or are familiar with Island Cuisine, you may already be a fan of celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi. Located at Wailea Marriot's Beach Resort, Maui. The menu is inspired by the chefs "family roots, which started on the plantations of Maui." Reserve Your Table
Best Place for a Sandwich
808 Deli: I don't know about you, but when I go to the beach I like to camp out for hours. 808 Deli sandwiches are perfect for picking up before a long day in the sun or even before a road trip to Hana. These delicious artisan sandwiches can be ordered to go as well as a giant sized pickle, a large variety of drinks and extra large cookies!
Best Place for Breakfast
Nalus South Shore Grill: Hands down my favorite place to eat breakfast in Kihei. Avoid the busy tourist breakfast traps on south kihei road and enjoy the open ambiance at Nalus. Place your order at the counter or sit at the bar and enjoy fun surf videos while being served delicious food and drinks. Indoor and outdoor seating available, as well as fruit infused water and self serve coffee. If your lucky, there might even be live music. Favorites on the menu: Acai Bowl, Big Kahuna Omelet & the Corn Flake Crusted French Toast. Visit Today